How to Register on the Central Supplier Database
On 28 September 2015 we published an article about the Government's Central Supplier Database and the fact that any company who wants to do business with South African Government Entities has to register on this database. Since then we have had an overwhelming response from Small, Medium and Micro Enterprise (SMME's) owners requesting help to register on the CSD.
To register on the Central Supplier Database you need to go to their website: https://secure.csd.gov.za/. Once you are on the website the registration process is fairly easy.
The key is that you must first register as a natural person before you can register your business on the website. You will also need an active email address that you can access whilst registering and you will need a cell phone because you are going to receive messages from the CSD website.
Once you have registered in person you will need to activate your account. This is done by clicking on the activation link that is send to your active email account.
After your account has been activated you can start registering your businesses on the CSD.
Here is some important information that you will need to have on hand to register quickly and easily:
- Company name (you have the option to register as a company or any other legal entity or as an individual or partnership);
- Company or Legal Entity registration number;
- Income Tax reference number;
- VAT number;
- Bank details that will be used in your business;
- Physical as well as a Postal address (especially if the postal address differs from your physical address;
- Your business' commodities and a good description thereof.
An interesting feature of the CSD website and the registration process is that once you have completed each section it links up with other Government departments such as SARS (South African Revenue Services) and CIPC (Companies and Intellectual Property Commission) as well as the commercial Banks in South Africa. This means that:
- Once you have inserted your Income Tax reference number it shows your tax status as well as your Tax Clearance Certificate information; and
- It retrieves all your directors' information from CIPC; and
- It confirms that your bank account is a valid bank account.
This is actually a bit overwhelming if you consider how it is all connected!
A big positive is that the registration process is actually very easy and not very time consuming.
You do not need to load any documents onto the CSD. One thing we question is how the CSD will know what your company's B-BBEE status level is? They will also not know how large your company is because of the fact that they do not request any financial information, which is very strange, as the purpose of the website to get all the suppliers' information in a central database in order to use in the tender process?
We will continue updating you with all the correct information to respond to bids correctly and hopefully successfully.
Earn today earn tomorrow